Understanding Google My Business & Local Search
Loci 2008 – Will Scott’s Best Articles of 2008 in Local
Will Scott of Search Influence, is a search marketer that focuses on helping SME’s in all aspects of traditional and local search. He has an extensive background in online local directories. He writes at his own blog, Website Promotion is Not Vodoo, and does guest appearances elsewhere. In the New Orleans tradition he is both a gentleman and (at least after I called him out) a scholar and is a great sounding board. I can’t think of a better way to start off the new year than with Will’s great summary!
Best of 2008 – Continuing Education in Local (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love the Blog)
I’m old and a little scatter-brained, so blogging doesn’t come easy for me. We can’t all be as young at heart as Mike :).
So just one quick caveat, obviously this list isn’t comprehensive. It represents who and what I read — who inform my understanding — and, to a great extent the work of my friends.
Search Influence has been in business since 2006 but 2008 is the year I realized there is a community of like-minded folks and engaged with that community.
No review of Local in ’08 would be complete without David’s seminal work “The Local Search Ranking Factors“.
So, David asks, I contribute — surely not as knowledgeably as some and it leads to one of the most valuable events I’ve attended: The SLOMO Local Search Sit Down as chronicled in David’s conference recap. Talk about some heavy hitters — the biggest names in Local Search around one table for the evening.
But before that, way back in April we sponsored SBMU where I had the distinct pleasure of meeting the one and only Matt McGee in person.
His presentation there is one of the most thorough reviews of local search I’ve ever seen. It could practically have been a survey course.
OK, so to a slightly more structured list:
Unfortunately most of Steve’s stuff is still offline so I can’t point to my favorite Video related posts of all time.
Steve and Greg Markel are the two who’ve most informed my thinking about video this year.
So instead, I’ll have to point to a recap of his SES presentation on the subject on Marty’s blog and also at ReelSEO.
Maps / Local
- Today’s Google Mapspam report – 75% chance of rain – Mike Blumenthal, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- Microsoft’s listing in Google Maps Hijacked (oops by me) – Mike Blumenthal, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- How To Create Effective Local Business Landing Pages – Search Marketing Insights by Dev Basu
- Guide to Other Local Search Marketing Options – Matt McGee, Small Business SEM
- More Evidence Shows Power of Consumer Reviews – Matt McGee, SEM Clubhouse
- Sources of Local Business Reviews – Michael Jensen, City Marketer
- 5 Steps for 5 Stars: Reputation Management for Small Businesses – David Mihm, Mihmorandum
Web References / Citations
- Local vs Traditional SEO: Why Citation Is the New Link – David Mihm, Mihmorandum
- Ranking Factors in Google Maps – Cracking the Code SMX Local – Mike Blumenthal, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- The “BCS” for Local Search Engine Optimization – David Mihm, Mihmorandum
- Which On-line Directories provide details to Google Maps – 2008 – Mike Blumenthal, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- Small Businesses Struggle With Search Marketing – Greg Sterling, SEL
- Why Reputation Management Matters for Small Businesses – Matt McGee, Small Business SEM
- Yelp Makes Small Businesses Scream – Will Scott, Website Promotion is Not Voodoo
- Why Snake Oil SEO Still Sells – David Mihm, Mihmorandum
- Split Testing Local Search – Tim Coleman, Convert Offline
- The Argument for Call Tracking – Greg Sterling, Screenwerk
- Convert Offline – Everybody’s Doing It – Will Scott, Website Promotion is Not Voodoo
- Local Ad Dollars, Slip Sliding Away – Mark Potts, Recovering Journalist
- An oldie but a goodie — Best Practices for Local Success – Mike Blumenthal, Understanding Google Maps & Yahoo Local Search
- Local Seo Is Easy… Just Create A Good Yellow Page Ad – Tim Coleman, Convert Offline
- Anatomy & Optimization Of A Local Business Profile – Chris Smith, Search Engine Land
- The RASCIL Factors
© Copyright 2022 - MIKE BLUMENTHAL, ALL RIGHT RESERVED.